Here are my top ten inexpensive Christmas gifts for the guitarist on your list!
- Electric Guitar strings If the guitarist in your life plays an electric guitar. Make sure that Santa gets or knows what gauge of strings he or she uses. Just don’t go out and get the first ones that you find! If you don’t want to ask them, then look for an empty pack that they have lying around the house that have the old strings put back in them in, just case they need a spare string if one breaks. This is a very simple present that comes in handy trust me. Get 2 packs! When that special day comes, make sure that they place one pack in their case and one in the CAR! The one in the car will come into play when they run out of the ones in their case, ok?
- Acoustic Guitar Strings Read above description!
- Guitar Picks Buy around 50 individual picks because they fit everyone’s budget! You can never have enough of these things. I am constantly looking for some around the house! Also put some of these in the car, in their wallet or purse, give them to friends to hand out when needed and if he or she plays acoustic, throw a couple in the open sound hole of the guitar! They will forever be in your debt when the times presents itself!
- Guitar Finger Picks This gift will make them try out different approaches to playing and even challenge them to branch off in uncharted musical waters! The worst this one can do is make them think about using it and you never know, it might provide them with a different style to add to their arsenal. I have some National Brand metal Fingerpicks and Dunlop 9002P Medium Thumb/Finger Picks . Both of these picks are designed to be flexible enough to mold slightly to the guitarist’s fingers. If you look at getting the plastic ones, I boil them in hot water before molding them to each finger.
- Guitar Capo If you know which one they use purchase 2. I use the Kyser Quick Change Guitar Capo . Give them one and place the other one in the car just in case an emergency comes up. If you don’t know which one they use invest in 2 or maybe even 3 different types of Capoes. This will allow then to figure out which one suites them the best.
- Guitar Stand This one is always a welcome sight to any guitarist or bassists! If they have more than one axe or guitar, get 2 if you can afford them. With this present it also makes the guitar easier to access and maybe make them practice more.
- Guitar Music Stand This will be for those with a few bucks in their wallet or purse. Don’t get a bargain basement that is flimsy, this will only support a few pieces of sheet music and not much more. If it keeps falling over due to the weight/volume of sheet music on it, it may be a waste of money!
- Guitar Tuning Machine You don’t have to acquire the top of the line model here. If the guitarist in your life doesn’t like it, keep the bill and they can go back and return it for something that they might find worthy of using. This will make both of you go to the local music shop and shop together. This will bring you both closer (Ah, isn’t that sweet?!)
- Guitar Cords If that special someone uses these items, this is the wire that connects the guitar to the amplifier or PA system that they use, they will always breaks down at one point that’s for sure. I recommend you getting a top of the line brand. The ones that I have are the CBI American Made Instrument Cable – 10 Foot. I have used these cords for years and with good up keep, they might be around a few more. This type of guitar cord will provide long use and pay for itself over the long haul. Pick up 2 lengths if possible.
- Gift Certificate for Guitar Set ups at your local music store I saved the best for last here folks or folkies! A guitar set up is when a trained guitar technician fixes the action on the neck (they adjust the truss rod) of the guitar that makes it easier to hit the strings down onto the fretboard! I can’t say enough of this gift. It may run you a few bucks but IT WILL MAKE playing the guitar easier to perform with. Sometimes guitars have a factory set up that is just too generic and at times the guitar gives off a buzzing sound when they hit certain strings in particular places on the guitar. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
So that’s it for this years top 10 inexpensive Christmas gifts for guitarists. I hope that I gave you some different ideas or things to think about. If you have any questions then just post a comment and I’ll get back to ya soon!
Ok 2 more bonus things to add to the list of gifts! If you can’t get out of the house for some reason and you want to purchase something on line and right away then these 2 ideas are for you.
Get a subscription to a online guitar magazine! Acoustic Guitar Magazine is one guitar related magazine that I’d love to get (just in case you listening Santa). Guitar Player Magazine is the other one. Both sites provide a wealth of guitar info that any guitarist will use! The lessons that they have in their video section will knock their socks off. Remember, the worst thing they can do is learn something right?!
So good luck in your search for the ultimate gift and let’s hope that everyone has a Merry Christmas and …
Keep on Jammin’ in the New Year